Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A class after sense

How we love our senses and take them for granted. I often think about what sense I would give up if I had to. It's a toss up between sight and sound. Sight would probably win out since I have already had a chance to hear. In this way I could still edit sound waves visually and thus still be able to create music and sing songs in my head. Other than that I don't have much to say except a reminder to myself or if Beth happens to read this, I want to know who the man was we watched the video over at the end of class. Nothing I think is original and he basically proved that. Nothing he said was new to me but reassured what I already think. It was like looking into the future and who I will be. A somewhat disturbing yet comfortable feeling. I like that.

I like to manipulate my senses. It is the reason I got into new media. I want to mess people up. Push their senses to the edge until one them or all of them shut down. Or stimulate a couple so much that you can't think about the others or anything else for that matter. Bass for your face!

But senses can be overiden by thought. Beliefs more so. That's why a lot of things I see or hear I still don't believe.

So I didn't think I had much to say but the wheels keep turnin (the midwest 'silent g')...
I'm not a pusher but I feel like drugs also need to be addressed. Whether they are legal or illegal, drugs manipulate your senses like nothing else. From caffeine to pcp. The chemical reactions they produce put your senses in a frenzy. Drugs can alter your view of reality to no end. Imagine riding a rollercoaster after drinking, after some uppers, some downers or any other drug of choice. Drugs can dramatically change your experience with anything, numbing or heightening your senses so much that what you think is real isn't.

Last thought, emotion and energy, I'll get back to these. Oh, and adrenaline.

No comments: