Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Egg




When we were given the egg I am sure we all started thinking "What am I suppose to do with this egg?" when it wasn't so much what we were suppose to do with the egg but what can we do with this egg. To me the egg did not represent anything in the physical realm but was more of a motivational or philosophical tool. We often start our days with eggs for breakfast. The egg could also be boiled to top our salad or be stuffed with some kind of mayo concoction. It could have been used by the Eggman, driving around, egging the town, always got my windows rolled down, that's right, I'm the Eggman. An egg can even raise the debate "the chicken or the egg".

To me, the egg represented a new beginning or rebirth. This summer I had done very little with visual arts. Most of the time was spent working, moving, adapting to a new life with the one I love and working on a little audio here and there. So I took this opportunity to revisit and prime myself for the semester by taking a stroll through the neighborhood with my girlfriend's new camera. It is and has been one of my favorite things to do since I got my first 35mil. If it wasn't for digital cameras, this would have been my chosen career. Now, everyone is a photographer (or so they think). Even if they are not you can still take 200 photos and a few of them are going to be ok if not really good no matter who you are. Thank you technology for killing what Stieglitz and many others fought so hard for to make photography part of the arts. Either way it doesn't really matter. There is a difference and most can tell. It's not as if I would have enough room or money for a darkroom anyway so I take back the bad things I said about you technology, I love you.

Anyway, I did take about a hundred photos on my stroll and it was nice. It is most often the beginning of my process and I thought it fit in nicely with what I thought about The Egg.

No comments: